Amendment and invalidation requests concerning declarations and other communication

On the “Communication” page you can read and respond to messages sent by Customs. You can also send messages to Customs about your declarations. 

If you have received messages from Customs, you can see a red triangle in the “State” column of the declaration on the list of declarations “In progress”, if you haven’t read the message. Reminders of any unread messages are also displayed in red font on the “Summary and submission” page of the declaration.

A message from Customs may be e.g. an additional information request. It opens under “Documents” as a PDF document. You can respond to the message via the section “Communication”.

The request is specified in the “Contents of message” field and it usually involves a time limit. To respond to the message, click the desired row to open the contents of the message so you can respond. 

Write your response in the response field of the request. 

If you are required to provide the additional information as an attachment, click “+Add” under the heading “Decisions, other documents and attachments”. Write a description of the attachment in the field that opens. You can upload the attachment by clicking “Upload file”. The supported attachment file types are PDF, JPG, PNG and TIF. The maximum attachment size is 5 MB.

If you notice that there is a need to amend the declaration details after Customs has already released the goods for the procedure, via “Communication” you can request amendment or invalidation of a declaration that has already been accepted. Click “+Contact request”. 


Choose the reason for contact from the drop-down menu.

Image of the reasons for a contact request.


If you choose an amendment or invalidation request as the reason contact, choose also the reason for the amendment or invalidation from the drop-down menu.

Write in the free text field what part of the declaration you request to be amended. Indicate also why you are requesting an amendment if the reason for amendment you have chosen doesn’t make it clear. Provide both the original detail in the declaration you want to be amended as well as the correct detail you want to use in the declaration.

If you have an attachment to support the amendment or invalidation request, you can upload it. 

If you want to request extension of the time-limit for providing the additional information requested by Customs, choose “003 – Request for time-limit extension” as reason for contact. 

If you are providing a response to an adverse decision sent by Customs, choose “004 – Response for hearing request” as reason for contact. 

If you have submitted an amendment or invalidation request and notice that the request is unnecessary or made on false grounds, you can request cancellation of the amendment or invalidation, if no decision on it has been made yet. Request cancellation of the amendment or invalidation via the “Contact request” page (“005 – Cancellation for earlier change request”). Customs will then make a decision concerning the cancellation of your amendment or invalidation request.